• Syndicate content

Updated: Men arrested, child safe

Posted: April 18, 2014 - 1:43pm
Back | Next
Brighton Gibbs
Brighton Gibbs

Update: Four-year-old Brighton Gibbs has been safely found in Forrest City, and is being taken back to Conway. Her non-custodial father Nakia Gibbs and grandfather Johnny Gibbs are said to be in Forrest City Police Department custody.

Original report: The Conway Police Department is seeking help from the public in finding four-year-old Brighton Gibbs, taken from Conway this morning by her non-custodial father Nakia Gibbs and grandfather Johnny Gibbs.

She was last seen in a tan-colored Mercury Grand Marquis with large chrome wheels.

Anyone with information is urged to call CPD at 450-6120. To send an anonymous tip via text message, enter the number 274637 (CRIMES) and begin the body of the text with the word "Conway."

Raving Bear
Raving Bear 04/18/14 - 03:13 pm
Wonder if CPD would activate

Wonder if CPD would activate the Amber Alert/ Morgan Nick system if this was a white girl....

Ra3xGambit
Ra3xGambit 04/18/14 - 04:27 pm
There was an Amber alert

There was an Amber alert issued immediately when the false information as to her safety was made known. That's a good call unnecessarily injecting racial undertones to something with absolutely no need for it.

Everyone loves a good old-fashioned instigator. There's a child missing, and the first thought in your head is "If this was[sic] a white girl." Very constructive.

Raving Bear
Raving Bear 04/18/14 - 04:33 pm
Per the CPD's Facebook she is

Per the CPD's Facebook she is still missing, no amber alert....

Ra3xGambit
Ra3xGambit 04/18/14 - 05:09 pm
My apologies, then.

The news outlet I've been following, which has provided the fastest and most consistent updates to the story were reporting it had been done, but checking the actual alert agency site does show that to not be the case. My apologies to you for my misinformation.

I don't apologize for calling the sentiment unnecessary, but I do apologize for not checking the alert status with the official agency. That search also shows a pretty informative breakdown of past alerts which wouldn't suggest any trend whatsoever in regard to race or gender of the victims.

Raving Bear
Raving Bear 04/18/14 - 08:07 pm
People may not like my

People may not like my comment but lets look at the reality facign African Americans shall we? Most African Americans in Faulkner County live in Conway. Currently of the 100 prisoners on page 1 of the FCSO- 26% of the people with attached pics are black. Yet county wide they make up only 10% of the population. This means they are arrested 2.6x more often than whites if we include the FCSO arrests. If we only count those by CPD... Well that info is not readily available but its easy enough to read between the lines.If FCSO didn't arrest anyone, then per the 2000 Census CPD is arresting blacks 2.3x more often than they should based on population size.

This is sadly typical for African Americans in metro areas. They are targeted by the police, less able to afford bail (and thus loose scarce jobs) less able to afford a decent lawyer and thus be forced to accept plea deals that ruin their future prospects. They are less likely to be sentenced to jail (close to families and support networks) and more likely to be sent to prison and moved far away from their families for the same crime where whitey got jail. This of course means fatherless families...

Go look at the faces in jail and ask yourself how could so many black faces be there... Blacks are no more prone to crime, its where the police go looking for work that is the distinction ad reason behind the disparity. Given the evidence of mass racial disparities in enforcement, its not a stretch for me to assume that the CPD doesn't put nearly as much more effort in to protecting black children as it does into putting daddy in jail.

When I learned she was missing, I went looking for an Amber Alert to confirm... there was none. based on the above factors it was easy to assume they didn't care.

I'm not the one saying CPD is racist- the arrest numbers say that.

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 04/21/14 - 10:27 am
Let me get this straight.

By your logic, the CPD is trying to arrest as many black people as possible. However in this case, they're not going to try to arrest two black men that kidnapped a child. Does that sum it up?

conwaygerl
conwaygerl 04/21/14 - 11:31 am
BOOM

He shoots, he scores.
You said it better than I could.

CPD is racist against blacks, except for blacks that kidnap children??

Got it.

Raving Bear
Raving Bear 04/22/14 - 07:20 am
Do you think CPD would have

Do you think CPD would have activated the Morgan Nick system if a white girl was abducted by a convicted rapist? I do. There is no disconnect between patrol officers over targeting specific groups and administrative who turn a bind eye to it, also doing less than prudence demands when a black child comes up missing.

ucantbserious
ucantbserious 04/22/14 - 09:44 am
That's not what you said.

You said: "This is sadly typical for African Americans in metro areas. They are targeted by the police..."

So if they are as targeted as you claim then wouldn't the CPD have turned the city upside down until they found them and put them in jail?

"Do you think CPD would have activated the Morgan Nick system if a white girl was abducted by a convicted rapist? I do."

You're throwing out a hypothetical situation and treating your speculation as if the CPD had done that very thing in this case. Here are some other hypothetical situations to consider:

What would have happened if a black girl was abducted by two white men? Would the CPD have just waved them on by and wished them all the best?

What would have happened if the abducted girl was not the daughter and granddaughter of the suspects? Perhaps they had reason to believe that they wouldn't cause physical harm to the child. Heck, both suspects were members of the girl's family. I'm no rapist, but if I were, I doubt I would bring my dad along if I was planning on committing a rape. IJS

I don't think that the CPD disclosed everything they knew at the time. Perhaps they knew that the suspects would probably flee to Forrest City for whatever reason. If that was the case then why would they tip their hand to that knowledge and run the risk of letting the suspects know where they were looking? If they did then they might flee somewhere else that the responding agencies weren't aware of. FCPD found them very quickly which leads me to believe this was at least a possibility.

jimleba1952
jimleba1952 04/19/14 - 08:21 am
Crime committed

Do you think the arrest record may be skewed toward African-Americans because they commit most of the crime? I do.